Guest Post: Rice Vermicelli with Tomato Sauce (GFCF)

I’ve written time and again about my brother and how he has played – and continues to play – an integral part of my blogging. If it wasn’t for him I’m sure I wouldn’t have started cooking and baking gluten-free and dairy-free, and much less thought of starting a food blog. So when he asked me if he could guest post here and share a recipe, the answer was of course!  Please give a warm welcome to my little brother who is sharing an easy, basic recipe for tomato sauce served with rice vermicelli.

He was inspired to make this after seeing a recipe for spaghetti with tomato sauce in The Silver Spoon for Children – a delightful cookbook, by the way, with charming illustrations – which, after looking at the recipe, seems to be a basic tomato sauce, if not a staple, in Italian cooking with olive oil and garlic, sometimes with the addition of fresh basil, since there is a similar recipe in another Italian cookbook, The Top One Hundred Pasta Sauces and our family’s been making this sauce for years.

After some debate on how to put together this post, we decided upon a comic strip format and to present it in a slideshow. We both hope you enjoy it.

Here are some strips from the slideshow for a little peek if you’re reading this in your email or RSS feed. Click after the jump to see the slideshow and recipe.

Now, handing it over to my brother—

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Rice Vermicelli with Tomato Sauce

My brother wrote these instructions, with some help from me (grammar, punctuation, verification of cooking terms), although most of it is his. From my brother: If you have leftover sauce, it’s great heated up the next day and eaten on its own like a soup.

2 tsp. olive oil (optional, if using garlic powder)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped finely or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, plus extra to taste
1 (28-fluid ounce) tin crushed tomatoes (you can also use tinned plum tomatoes and puree them yourself, although note that the sauce will be thinner)
1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
10 ounces ground beef or pork (optional)
1 to 2 packages rice vermicelli

Heat a small saucepan over medium heat with the olive oil. As soon as you smell the olive oil, add the garlic and sauté until you smell the garlic’s fragrance. It’s okay if it’s slightly browned, though be careful because garlic can burn quickly and then you’ll have to start over.

Add the crushed tomatoes (or pureed tinned plum tomatoes) and fill the can half full with water to thin slightly. Stir. Cook over medium heat until the garlic has infused and the sauce is warm, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic powder to taste if you wish for a stronger garlic flavour.

If you are making this tomato sauce as shown in the comic above, simply add the crushed tomatoes to a pot heating over medium heat, fill the can half full with water and thin, and add garlic powder and salt, adjusting to taste.

If you want meat added, separately fry ground beef or pork, breaking up in pieces,  until there’s no more pink. Season with garlic powder and add to the tomato sauce.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add rice vermicelli. Lower the heat slightly and cook until noodles are soft and white. Drain. If you like, you can stir the tomato sauce into the noodles (once they’ve been drained and put back in the pot), leaving some sauce leftover if some would like extra sauce, or you can serve the noodles individually and pour the sauce over.

Enjoy!

Click to download to your mobile device or save to your computer.

About these ads

14 thoughts on “Guest Post: Rice Vermicelli with Tomato Sauce (GFCF)

1. Raj @ Flip Cookbook

You have the sweetest brother ever! A big welcome to the newest (possibly youngest??) foodie blogger!

Love the blog post – especially the comic book idea. Would love to see a *pow* in there somewhere! Maybe when adding the garlic powder :D

2. Shirley @ gfe

Oh my goodness, Zoe, this is wonderful that your brother is guest posting! Love the simple recipe and the comic strip format–very cool! Tell your brother he did a great job. :-) You two make a nice team!

xo,
    Shirley

3. Zoe Post author

Hey everyone, on behalf of my brother and myself – thank you so much! My brother loves all your comments and your feedback so far; he is chuffed. Extremely pleased! He’s been flipping through the Silver Spoon for Children cookbook in a way that I know he’s looking for the next recipe we can do together.

We’re glad you all liked the comic strip format!

Kalinda – It’s fun! I’ve done one comic strip previously, with this strawberry mousse. A little “behind the scenes” of a video.

Raj – We should have thought of that! A *pow* would have been fantastic; oh well, next time my brother or I decide to do a comic strip. ;) Who knows, maybe one day he’ll have his own food blog. :) He’s always bursting of all kinds of ideas.

Shirley – My brother often pitches in, whether it’s hands on or just lending advice. He often tells me what my next culinary projects are even. Perhaps all my siblings will have their own guest post at some point. It would be super fun. :)

4. Dimity

Wow, I love these lastest post. The cartoon format makes it fun and easy to read. I also like seeing the taste testing. I general use vermicelli with only asian dishes. I am going to enjoy try them with the tomato sauce recipe.

1. Zoe Post author

Hi Dimity, thank you! My brother and I are so glad that you like the comic strip format. :) I actually forgot that there is an effect to “cartoonize” the photos. Hope you like the vermicelli with the tomato sauce!

5. Ryan

ZOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    keep up the great work!!!!!! you’re doing an absolutely great job with your blog and i’m sure your brother feels SUPER lucky to have an awesome sister like you!

1. Zoe Post author

Hi Ryan, thank you so much! Oh yes, he feels so lucky that when he was once asked to name parts of the kitchen he included me as the cook. :D Seriously. (That was some years ago.) That aside, I’m sure he does feel lucky and is appreciative as are the rest of my family.

6. Kim (Cook It Allergy Free)

Oh my goodness, Zoe! This is just sooo wonderful! I cannot tell you how cool I think this is! Just brilliant! What better way for him to share his recipe than in a comic strip! You are such an awesome big sister. He is one lucky boy to have you in his life! ;)

1. Zoe Post author

Thanks, Kim! Oh indeed he is one lucky boy – and he knows it, too, that’s the thing! With all this positive feedback we’re getting about the comic strip format, I may just have to use it more often. :)

1. Zoe Post author

Hi Wendy, how lovely to see you here. Thanks so much! We are considering something of a comeback guest post, this time dessert.

I’d never heard of They Draw and Cook before your comment. Such a charming and inspiring site! Thank you for sharing. I love the illustrations. :)